Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Repent and Come Unto Me

There is this interesting statement by the Lord found in D&C 10:67-68: Behold, this is my doctrine—whosoever repenteth and cometh unto me, the same is my church.  Whosoever declareth more or less than this, the same is not of me, but is against me; therefore he is not of my church.
 
The statement requires us to
1. Repent, and then
2. Come unto Christ.
 
Repentance is a lifelong process.  As we get further light and knowledge we have to incorporate it into our lives and change behavior.  Over a lifetime, this should be dynamic, not static.
 
The more difficult explanation is to "Come unto Him."  It is my view that this includes fully receiving Him into your life as did the brother of Jared, Nephi, Enos, Enoch, Abraham, Moses, Joseph Smith, Daniel, Isaiah, Jacob, Mormon, Moroni, Alma the Younger, Paul, and so many others who have testified of Him.  That is a subject so great that the entire body of scriptures exist to help us accomplish it.
 
Significant, too, is that whatever is "more or less" than this is not "of my church" according to the Lord.  So we have to take great care to not overstate or understate this doctrine of His.  Adding endless requirements by the commandments of men is "against Him."  Similarly, any failure to declare the essential nature of coming to Him is also "against Him."  I think the first verse of D&C 93 is a formula for coming to Him.  That formula declares that, when it is followed, you will see His face and know that He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Say You?