Monday, March 15, 2010

Common consent

My car insisted it was 5:36 this morning as I drove my daughter to Seminary.  The Honda was not yet in on the collective conspiracy to sustain the loss of an hour by our common consent.  

My daughter got out the owner's manual while we were driving and helped me convince the car to sustain the new hour.  Now the Honda is also in on the conspiracy by common consent to change our bearings in the universe.

It still gets light and dark as before, but we call it something different.  Happily, the Honda does not contradict that illusion anymore. 

We cannot control the reality in which we live, but we can use our collective agreements to pretend it is otherwise.  Now we awake and arise at a different time, but call it an hour later.  Common consent is a powerful thing.  It can be used to change how we look at time itself.

2 comments:

  1. And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had an owners manual to teach me how to change the time in my kids brain...

    ReplyDelete

What Say You?