Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Be still and know that I am God

It is apparent from emails sent to the blog that some readers refuse to study carefully either the scriptures or what I have written.  I will make yet another attempt to explain some important distinctions.

There is a difference between testifying that some principle is true and teaching others how to follow the principle, and discussing details of personal experiences which are not going to be meaningful and are not appropriate. 

There are reasons why intimate details of temple ordinances are guarded by covenants they will not be revealed. It is true those covenants have been violated by many people. Some people have decided to reject what was offered, make themselves liars, and treat with contempt what should have been treated with care. All of that is between them and the Lord, with whom they made the covenant.  Their violation of a trust does not detract one bit from the power of covenants kept by others.

We are not responsible for how others behave when they receive something that ought to be treated as sacred.  We are all only accountable for how we individually treat such things.

It is appropriate for anyone to testify to the truth, that the Lord lives, and that He has and still does minister to men in the flesh. It is appropriate to explain that those blessings are predicated upon the same conditions for any person who will follow the law upon which such blessings are predicated. It is appropriate to explain what those conditions or laws are. It is appropriate to gather together in one continuous discussion the diverse elements scattered throughout the scriptures and put them into one convenient discussion of the whole. I have done that.

What is not important for anyone to know is the details of what goes on in a meeting between God and one with whom He deigns to appear. Joseph Smith for example remarked, concerning the First Vision, "many other things did he say unto me, which I cannot write at this time.JS-H 1: 20.

Repeatedly the Book of Mormon draws a line and says that things were "not lawful" for man to write.  See, e.g., 1 Ne. 14: 28; 3 Ne. 26: 16; 3 Ne. 27: 23; Ether 4: 1, Ether 13: 13.  A person who does not understand the difference between the line that must be drawn and why it exists simply is not prepared to receive with gratitude what the Lord is offering.

The riches of eternity are offered by the Lord to you and each of you directly. It does not come from learning "secrets" from someone else. It comes by following the path. You do not need anything more than a description of the path. Follow it. Until you follow it, the heavens will remain shut against you. As soon as you follow it, you will have the results you would like to have. 

Curiosity about sacred details that the scriptures repeatedly warn are not lawful to put into writing here in this fallen world, reveals an immaturity that should be overcome. If you want the details, learn them from the Lord. Directly. Without an intermediary. Teachers are commissioned by the Lord to reiterate the path by which they are to be obtained.  He does not send someone to do the work for you. Indeed, you either do the work for yourself or it remains undone - forever. 

It is clear that some who want the most revealed to them are the ones who have not yet read what I've written. You simply continue to ask and ask again. Study what I've written carefully and anyone will find it is all there. Several people have done so, and have received the promised results. But they took care and devoted careful, solemn and ponderous thought to the matters set out in what I have written. That is what the writings were intended to produce, and why they were commissioned to be written by the Lord. I know that the process is true, because I have lived it. I know that the descriptions provided in my writings are sufficient, because they have produced results akin to my own. You do not need more details from me. You need to take seriously what I've already written.  Actually, you don't even need that. What I have written is taken from the scriptures, primarily the Book of Mormon. If you understood the scriptures you wouldn't even need what I've written.  I have only been instructed in how to bring the process together in a convenient single narrative, building line upon line to a whole.

Careful, solemn and ponderous thought is what is needed. Not frantic, exasperated and impatient demanding that someone tell you something right now that will fix what is amiss in your life. Such frantic conduct is likely to yield nothing. 

I hope this aids in understanding what is appropriate and what is over the line. If you want to know all the mysteries of God, He is willing to reveal them. Not to the impatient, demanding and immature. But to those who develop a firm mind in every form of godliness, including patience, persistence, faith and sacrifice.  (Moroni 7: 30.)  These things are not won cheaply.  But they are won. 

I think the words "be still and know that I am God" are more than just an admonition to 'shut-up.'  (D&C 101: 16.)  I think it is a formula. Let your anxieties pass over you. Leave them. Be calm. In the great calm of pondering over what He has given to you, you will "know" Him.  Therefore, if you would like to know God, then ponder deeply and meditate on the things He has already given to you.  (See e.g., D&C 138: 11; JS-H 1: 12; 1 Ne. 11: 1 and Helaman 10: 2-4.)  This is how Joseph Smith received the First Vision, Joseph F. Smith saw the Vision of the Redemption of the Dead, Nephi saw in vision the Lord, and Nephi son of Helaman would receive his calling and election.  I can't give you a formula, I can't recite any additional vision and I can't tell you about any visitation I have had that will absolve you of following the process by which God has become known to all those who have come to know Him since the time of Adam.  All I can do is testify that the same path is open to everyone. But only on the same condition as it is available to all. 

2 comments:

  1. Denver, in a previous post on developing faith you said, "Insecurities are a result of a lack of faith." I believe that the curiosities of people pushing to get more specific examples of your experiences also consititues a lack of faith in their own ability to get answers. It is human weakness. I appreciate the way you stand firm and confident and keep encouraging people to "find their own way". You probably groan within yourself many times as you respond to this blog. Thank you for your patience and long suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I have been frantic in my process for great knowledge at times. But I know this for me has been about insecurity, self doubt, and a lack of faith.

    The feelings of urgency I had was impatience. I didn't want to pay the price it costs to know my Savior. This is something I realized from this last conference, or really me wanting the process to be something else than it is, which it never can be.

    It won't be what I want it, it will be as the Lord has designed it. This I trust in and I am grateful for. I have no fear of that now. God is not subject to my whims and curiosities and that is a very good thing for me. No doubt I would be in over my head. Instead life pushes me just enough to get me closer each day. And this blog is a inspiring part of that process. I know whatever I will face eternal truth and the comfort and love of our Savior will be there, when I need it.

    Thanks Denver, my wife and I appreciate what you have and continue to shared. It has deepened our faith!

    ReplyDelete

What Say You?