Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Talk Transcriptions

For those who read the newly linked talks, the transcripts will differ slightly from the talks. In the talks I spoke spontaneously using lists of scripture as my only text. The remarks were free flowing and unrehearsed. Then they were transcribed verbatim.

I took the verbatim transcription and edited it to reflect better sentence structure and subject-verb agreement. I took some compound sentence fragments and reshaped them into actual sentences. NOT perfect, but somewhat better. Then I added parenthetical references to show where an unexpressed scriptural cite could be found because that was what was in my head when the remark was made. It gives context to the reader.

I also corrected some misstatements, such as "Articles of Faith" when I meant "Lectures on Faith." Since I knew what I meant, the transcription corrects that. Also there was a "Levite" which was meant to be "Judah."

I also noted that one thought I began wasn't finished. So in the transcript I finished the thought.

When these get gathered together and published as a book, it will be edited further. At that time, it will be edited with readability in mind and a good deal more grammar and sentence structure will be imposed on the text. Also, there are numerous footnotes that will be added when I make them into a book.

None of the talks are written or will be written in advance. They will just be given - then transcribed. The only talk I've written in advance was the paper presented at Sunstone last year. They required it. Otherwise, I speak spontaneously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Say You?