Friday, September 13, 2013

Flavor of the Month

I notice there's a lot of blog activity for the moment. That doesn't fool me. I'm the "flavor of the month" to folks and that will soon pass. But while I have your attention let me say this to whoever is stopping by because you think this is a temporary amusement, outrage, vindication or car wreck:

I really do believe in the religion I've accepted. I live it faithfully and joyfully. There's a lot of stupidity parading as enlightenment in the congregations of the "Saints" and I've never rebelled against that. People have always been allowed to believe as they want, and to preach things I don't believe or accept without any opposition from me. I have been a "low maintainence" Mormon and I'm not looking for a fight.

The conduct of the church reminds me that "the wicked flee when no man pursues." (Prov. 28: 28.) I'm not after them and never have been. There are a lot of problems with our history that can't be explained with the "traditional narrative." I've looked into this fearlessly, and honestly tried to reconcile the many corners we have turned since the death of Joseph. The book that got me into trouble was written to help those who are similarly befuddled by what we had as opposed to what we have. The book has actually helped people. It wasn't advertised. I recommended it to a tiny handful of people.

In the narrative I propose, the framework is taken from scripture and prophecy. It is reassuring. We aren't in a mess solely because we were irresponsible, but are here because God foresaw it, planned for it, told us it was going to happen, and now wants us to wake up to it. There's still time. And that time is precious and ought to be spent doing something other than arguing over the "flavor of the month."

The church excommunicated me, but now it's time to move on. I suspect, however, they will fire up the machinery to deal further with me. Before all that kicks in, let me assure you that whatever goes on I am content, even happy with life and with my 40 years in Mormonism. I will be pressing forward in faith, believing that you matter, I matter and our love for one another matters.

I don't matter. But God does, prophecy does, your soul does and God's potential involvement with you matters a lot. That is something you can engage in without any need to ever look at another flavor of the month.

So be of good cheer. And don't believe all you are going to read about me. If you want to really know what I think, read what I say. Better still spend your time learning how to relate to God and how He actually does relate to you. Even those who are bitter about your Mormon experience and now distrust God Himself. The fact is that much of what has broken your heart did not originate with Him. It was always an abuse inflicted by men.

So hang in there. Christ is cheerful. You be cheerful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Say You?