Monday, September 16, 2013

Evil Speaking of Anointed

I was asked how I justify "evil speaking of the Lord's anointed" --a question I've already answered here, here, and here, among other places.

It would be better to read what I write than to presume something about me. If you're interested enough to criticize, then why aren't you interested enough to read what I've written so your criticism can be grounded in more than your imagination?

It used to take a hundred years for changes to come about. Now those same changes in understanding take about 5 to 7 years. A whole new understanding of the history of the church is coming. Just wait, and remember when it does, how very foolish the church's reaction to Passing the Heavenly Gift was back in 2013.

I spoke with a member of my ward (leadership) the other day. He said he thought I'd gotten all the facts right in the book. He said the church can differ in interpretation, but no one can really argue with the facts.  

I kept all my covenants with both the Lord and the church. I would never have broken my covenants with the church. But the church has broken them. That will not change what covenants I have with the Lord. They will remain unbroken.

Sometime after Joseph's death, there was one covenant the church changed. Instead of consecrating everything for the building up of Zion, the covenant was reworked to consecrate everything to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for the establishment of Zion. That reworking of the covenant means that if the church doesn't do it, then someone who honors the covenant with the church cannot. Or, alternatively, it means that when the church neglects to build Zion, then the church has broken the covenant and that relieves the other party of their obligation to consecrate to the church. I took the first view. I would not depart from that covenant, even though I've had more than one conversation with the Lord about it. Now I find the church has broken the covenant, relieved me of any further need to involve them in the matter, and allowed me to pursue this as a matter of faith. The irony of that is they broke the covenant on the day I was traveling to Boise to begin a year-long series of talks about Zion. I see the hand of God in that.

As soon as the Boise talk is transcribed I will post it/link to it here. I imagine that will be within the next two to three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Say You?