Saturday, November 17, 2012

A parting thought

I've been getting emails and comments asking if I'm alright. I'm fine. When I have something to say I'll say it. I do have one parting thought:

In the Book of Mormon a people were "destroyed" when they lost control over their government. Their ability to preserve their own values, and choose the way they were governed was taken over by others. Most often it was from a different ethnic group, though not always. In the case of Amalackiah he was ethnically Nephite, but his values were Lamanite.

Once people were "destroyed" they were oppressed and suffered. Often they were oppressed with grievous taxes, and had religious liberties removed. Then they faced a choice: Either repent, in which case they came through the period of oppression with another chance. Or, if they were angry and rebellious, they would then be "swept away."

Being "destroyed" is not at all the same as being "swept away." It is possible for people to have been destroyed and not even realize it. But when swept away they face extinction, and cannot help but notice it.