Thursday, October 13, 2011

Talk Write Up

There's some silliness going on about the talk I will give at Confetti Books tomorrow. I promise I will write up the talk and put it on this blog. When I do, there will be citations, and probably more information than will be covered in a spontaneous discussion tomorrow. It'll be no doubt better organized than will the talk. I never write a talk in advance, I just give it. But I've also written up talks after they were given, and have made them available to anyone interested.

I want to make clear a couple of things:  First, I assure you I'm absolutely unimportant and not worth your notice. There are ideas, doctrine and history which are important, but for the most part you can find them in the scriptures and in Joseph Smith's writings. You don't need me for that. So if you're really interested in the truth, you would probably be better off spending the time with your scriptures and Joseph's writings than listening to me. They are original, I am merely derivitive.  Second, the ideas are the only things which are important, and you don't need me for them. They come to anyone through the Spirit. So if you'll do as Moroni tells you and ask God, you can "know the truth of all things" from Him, directly. (Moroni 10: 4-5.) I am utterly unimportant, irrelevant, and without any merit whatsoever. The doctrine is what matters. You can get that from God.

As the last book also made clear, the only ones who have any right to manage the church are those who are sustained by common consent and therefore hold office in the church. You should listen to those you've sustained and give heed to their counsel because that's the system established by revelation and which is still in operation today. I am absolutely not someone who has any authority over anyone, but am, like you, subject to their rule in the church. Therefore, although I can offer some views from the scriptures, they are my views and set out my understanding and you are free to accept or reject them. But if you decide to accept them I would remind you that you need to have the Spirit or revelation confirm something before you decide I've said anything worth even considering.

No one needs to travel, interrupt their evening, or go to any inconvenience to be there tomorrow. Everything will be put up here in writing, and I'll personally make a digital recording and make it available. For that I haven't figured out if I can do it through this blog, or if my wife is going to have to send email attachments to anyone interested. But I promise I'll make it available. Along with a written version. And the written version will be better. So you don't need to be there.

Finally, I don't want any videos taken. I'm not worth notice and don't want to be noticed. Photographs and videos tend to distract from what is important (doctrine) and refocus attention to someone who does not matter. You have church authorities who are known, whose images are available for you to notice and recognize, and I'm not one of them. I don't want your attention. If an idea helps you, that's a good thing. But as for me, I'm irrelevant.