Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

Today is Mother's Day. Many of you will be getting a phone call from your missionary. My daughter will speak in Sacrament today. It's a different daughter than the one who spoke for the last two years on Mother's Day. Seems we can't have it come without one of our daughters speaking.

My mother died years ago. I always remember her always on this date. She was a remarkable, stern, intelligent, spry, curious and faithful woman. Every morning at breakfast she would read a verse from the Bible to us, even though I did my best to feign disinterest. She persisted. Somehow, despite my own neglect of reading the Bible, when the missionaries taught me, I already knew most of the material they used from the Bible. Although she was not Mormon, her teaching was absolutely necessary for me to become what I am now.

She drug me to the Baptist Church every week, always hoping I'd become a Baptist. But the only church I ever joined was The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That was troubling to a devout Baptist. I've often said that throughout my childhood she was afraid I would go to hell. Then I became a Mormon and removed all doubt.

If your mother is still here, take time for her today. And if she's gone, like mine, then take some time for your wife as mother of your children. I'm planning to go prepare dinner and then clean up afterwards. (Even if I go to KFC and use paper plates.)